An individual who has had a tooth damaged from decay or an accident knows the importance of restoring the tooth’s structure as soon as possible. Quick action will help improve the mouth’s health as well as the individual’s facial and smile aesthetics. A procedure such as inserting a Dental Crown in Kona could be a great solution for those facing this situation.
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped, natural-colored covering that is applied to a tooth’s surface to aid in restoring the tooth’s original shape and size. There are several types of materials that a dental crown is made of. These include metal alloys, ceramics, porcelain, porcelain fused to metal, or a composite resin.
Benefits of a Dental Crown
There are multiple benefits to having a crown inserted
- A crown will strengthen the tooth as well as hide imperfections of the tooth’s appearance.
- A crown will cover any dental implants patients may have with the particular tooth.
- Crowns serve as a protection for a weakened tooth, preventing the tooth from breaking.
- Crowns may also be used to help hold any fillings that the damaged tooth may have in place.
When a Crown is Needed
There are many reasons when a dentist will recommend getting a dental crown aside from aesthetic reasoning.
- Damaged Tooth
- Decayed Tooth
- Root Canal Therapy
- Dental Bridges
- Dental Implants
While there are many reasons that a dentist may recommend a Dental Crown in Kona, there are also symptoms individuals may experience that indicate a crown is needed as well.
- Swelling in the gums near a tooth
- Bad breath or a constant bad taste in the mouth
- Gray, brown, black, or white spots on a tooth
Just as natural teeth can break or get cavities, a crown may also fail. It is important to keep a good dental routine at home as well as schedule an annual dental visit to ensure a long life for the dental crown. Carter S. Yokoyama D.D.S. and others are dedicated to helping individuals maintain good oral hygiene. For more information on dental crowns and other procedures, browse the website today.