Millions of people suffer from periodontitis, a serious bacterial infection that can destroy the jawbone and cause teeth to be lost. In the early stages, gum disease is reversible. Most people have some form of gum disease, and would benefit from Gum Disease Treatment in Melbourne.
Stage One – Gingivitis
Gingivitis is caused by bacteria that collect on and around the teeth in a sticky, colorless plaque. Regular brushing and flossing will remove much of this bacteria-laden plaque, but not all of it. The plaque that remains hardens, forming tartar, which can only be removed by professional dental cleaning.
When someone notices blood when they brush their teeth, this indicates that the bacterial infection has swollen the gums. No bone or tissue has been lost yet. However, without treatment, gingivitis will worsen, becoming periodontitis.
Stage Two – Periodontitis
The gums will begin to pull away from the teeth, forming pockets of infection. The bacteria spread below the gum line. Toxins from the bacteria begin to attack the bone and connective. As the infection progresses, the support structures for the teeth are destroyed, causing teeth to be lost.
Risk Factors for Gum Disease
* Smoking is one of the most significant risk factors for gum disease.
* Diabetes can put someone at a higher risk of gum disease.
* Many prescription and over-the-counter medications reduce the flow of saliva in the mouth. The saliva is intended to act as a protective coating; without it, the mouth is more likely to develop an infection.
* Female hormones may make the gums more sensitive and provide the opportunity for infection to develop.
* Genetics leave some people more likely to develop severe gum disease.
Treating Gum Disease
In the early stages, a dentist is able to use non-surgical methods to treat and reverse gum disease. If necessary, professional scaling, irrigation of gum pockets or antibiotic placement will be used. Dentists emphasize the importance of regular checkups in effectively treating the infection. Patients are given thorough instructions on the best ways for them to brush and floss at home. It’s common for patients to experience improvement right away. Surgical treatment may be needed if the infection persists.
Dr. Beverly Rose at Exceptional Dentistry offers professional Gum Disease Treatment in Melbourne. She has treated patients in the Melbourne area with a full range of high quality dental care since 1996. If you need treatment for gum disease, call for an appointment.